June 29, 2011

Tonga…English…Tonga…English

 

Mwabuka bhuti (good morning)! One of the biggest challenges I foresaw coming her was learning the local language. The people in the villages we work with speak a language called Tonga, one I had never heard of until visiting Zambia. I have always enjoyedDSC_0343_edited-1 picking up various African languages in the countries I have visited, but I knew this time it is far more important that I learn as much as the language as I possibly could. Thankfully God had a plan long before I did…these past couple months I visited the orphanage frequently tutoring and working with the older children. As the moms saw me come and go each day, they decided they wanted to learn too. Ennie was the first to grab me and say “teach me English…we want to learn.” Well English was never my strong point in school, but I figured I could whip something up for them they might enjoy. Amber and Jako had a primary English book that teaches basic communicative English…I know the moms know a lot of vocabulary, but need help on making complete sentences and spelling English words. After the first couple of classes it dawned on me that while I am teaching these women English words and spelling, they can be teaching me Tonga. So I started bringing chalk boards with me to class and had the moms write out the English  word/description and then the Tonga. I have been copying all the Tonga into a notebook and try to use phrases they teach me as frequently as possible. The moms love the idea and enjoy when I am able to speak Tonga with them. Through this process I found out they don’t know how to spell all their Tonga words either, so it behooves them to discuss spelling and word meanings as they are trying to learn the English equivalent.

Twice a week, while the children are in school, I get to go visit with the moms and teach them English. Usually all four moms are there (Ennie, Belita, Rachel, and Sylvia) and I was so happy when Charles’ wife Brenda expressed an interest and now joins us every Monday and Thursday! I must say, these twice a week meetings are becoming one of the highlights of my weeks. My hope is that as the moms become more comfortable with their English they will speak it more to the older children and the babies…we will see how that goes :o)

Leza Amumaleke-God Bless!

DSC_0351_edited-1

No comments:

Post a Comment