June 28, 2011

4 x 12 = ??

 

DSC_0291_edited-1 By grade three, most of us would have known the answer to this math question without even thinking about it. To my surprise, the older children who are working on fractions, division, and more advanced math, don’t have any solid foundation to stand on. Each time we try and do a simple sum of two fractions, it takes them 20 minutes just to change mixed numbers into improper fractions and to find common factors to simplify the numerators and denominators. They haven’t been taught to memorize their times tables to make more advanced math easier. Every time I am up there explaining fractions or long division, they get lost because we always get DSC_0300_edited-1 hung up on multiplication. I have given them flash cards, a multiplication chart, and play games with them; but they seem to lack the discipline to just sit down and memorize the tables. As time has gone on, they are much farther along than they were when we first started, but I am praying for patience and other techniques I can introduce to them to help them understand multiplication. I also need wisdom in how to guide the moms to spend time with them on studies, apart from the babies.

Another area all the children need help with is English. Most all of the children are very bright and understand what they are being taught; however, all their exams are in English and often they don’t understand what they are being asked, so their marks don’t always reflect their level of comprehension. So, in addition to mathematics, I have begun English classes with the children. The reading program helps a lot with word recognition, comprehension, and pronunciation; while time spent with me teaching helps them gain confidence in their English speaking abilities. The moms say that the children understand and speak English much better, so I will continue to pray that God keeps blessing us in this area. Hopefully as their English improves, so will their marks on their report cards.

DSC_0316_edited-1 The youngest children are working very hard on their letters, numbers, shapes, colors, and writing skills. It is always a challenge with limited teaching tools to help the younger ones develop the necessary skills to be successful in the primary grades; but God-willing we will find a way.

The amazing thing about all the children is that they are eager to learn and improve. As I sit there with one of the older girls, the three younger girls are sitting and watching learning everything I am teaching the older one. I hope that they remember all they are picking up and it will benefit them when their teachers introduce it in the future!

All the children really love the idea of earning kwacha and they get very excited any time they are rewarded for their learning. With the team coming in the month of June, the children did not have as much opportunity to earn kwacha, but I am hoping to have the first sweet store openDSC_0320_edited-1 in the next week, then the children can really reap the rewards for their effort in reading, math, and English. I have also set up a critical thinking station where I give them a problem or question each week and they have the whole week to write down ideas on how to solve the problem. For each unique idea they put into the box, they are rewarded K100. Every Saturday I open the box, read the ideas, reward them, and then put up a new problem.

I praise God when I see the children improving on what little I feel I am teaching them…I feel completely inadequate to be teaching such a wide range of ages, but God has faithfully given wisdom and knowledge in the moments I have needed it most. One way that He greatly provided assistance was providing the money for me to go out and buy school books for every subject of every grade. I now have the complete set of books from Grade 1-Grade 8 only missing two books. They definitely come in handy when the children ask for help in a certain subject. Thank you for your prayers and support in the children’s education. If you have any advice or ideas, please feel free to shoot me an email…guidance is always welcome :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment