September 9, 2011

Kimberley, South Africa

 

IMG_0598_edited-2

 

 

P9010002_edited-1

Well, as most of you know, Amber and Jako needed to go to South Africa for a couple weeks for doctor’s appointments and errands, so we left at the end of August planning on being back home around the 10th of September.  The first week we did a lot of running around checking prices on things we needed in between doctor’s and dentist visits.  At the various stores we went to, I was able to buy things for the school.  I am still lacking many center items, but I have a lot more now IMG_0526_edited-1than I did when we left for SA.  I am so excited to get back to the bush to start putting things together and setting up the program.  Hopefully the doors, roof, and glass will get on the school quickly, so we can start painting and then moving in…

After a week of errands, I left Amber and Jako to visit a friend west of Pretoria in the Northern Cape.  My friend, Kevin, lives in a small, flat, hot town called Kimberley where he is the minister of a local Methodist church.  Now I met Kevin three IMG_0532_edited-1years ago in 2008 when I was living in Jeffery’s Bay (Eastern Cape) doing a mission’s trip with AIM.  Since then we have both travelled all around following God’s calling on each of our lives and we were so blessed to be able to meet up in person once again.  This week was a retreat for me…a chance to get away and reconnect with God and myself. 

Kimberley is in the middle of nowhere, not much is around, but surprisingly has many fun things to keep you busy!  Kevin was a wonderful host and planned many things for us to do, as well as, a lot of down time to just relax and unwind.  Apparently the second largest cut diamond in the world was found in Kimberley.  There is a mile deep hole (“The Big Hole”) in the middle of the town that was dug completely by hand, the largest man-dug hole in the world.  We got a tour of the hole and a recreation of the mine shafts that miner’s worked in looking for IMG_0569diamonds…I learned all the history of diamonds and Kimberley…who knew?!?!?  On top of that, I got to experience a lot of Afrikaans culture…there was a festival that consisted of shows, vendors, authentic food, music, entertainment, and much more.  We went to this festival twice to look around and participate in traditional activities, as well as see the winner of South African Idol perform live one evening.  Then, Western Province (Cape Town) came to Kimberley to play their local rugby team and we got to go to the game…it was my first live, professional rugby game!  Wow those guys sure get hit hard, and without pads!!  We spent time with Kevin’s friends and roommates for dinners, movies, and outings.  One of his friend’s works in the hospital and let meIMG_0523_edited-1 witness a C-section delivery…I was actually in the theater (operating room) with her and the other staff when she pulled the baby out and everything was going great until I fainted!!  Then I was the talk of the hospital, and shortly the town…hehe memories that last! 

In addition to all the fun attractions we did, I also got a glimpse into Kevin ministry life!  One morning we went to teach a classroom of about 80 high school girls.  These girls are caring the weight of the world on their shoulders, and yet they keep their composure so well!  Kevin is great with them, talking about things that they want to discuss and that they can relate IMG_0578to…every time they meet, they take time to pray for one another and many times these girls are very vulnerable with their requests; what a great opportunity to advance the kingdom!  Then, on Wednesday nights he teaches the Alpha program at his church and of course, Sunday morning he preaches!  Being out in the bush, there isn’t much “church fellowship”, so being back in the western culture of things, it was nice being spiritually fed in that capacity again!  Something my heart had been yearning for…

All in all it was an amazing week filled with excitement and relaxation all at once!  God answered my prayers and met me where I was helping me enhance the intimacy of my prayers…

 

IMG_0560_edited-1

 

“Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’”

John 7:38

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it was an awesome time and much needed. I am still jealous that you got to watch a professional rugby game, I haven't gotten to do that yet. Be safe back in the bush. You are in my prayers and I can't wait to hear how God continues to use you.

    ReplyDelete